Reports to: Senior Director, Communications and Digital Strategy
Department: War Room
Position classification: Internship
American Progress has an opening for a virtual fall internship on the Generation Progress team. Interns with Generation Progress will have the opportunity to expand their organizing and communications skills across all issues important to young people in the progressive movement. Internship responsibilities include creating website content, helping organize virtual events and rallies, drafting and pitching op-eds, drafting blog posts and other written products, creating flyers and shareables, and tracking media for the team.
This role will be driven by American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation but changing the country.”
This intern will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five cross-cutting priorities:
- Strengthening public health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Securing a sustainable climate
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
With the Generation Progress communications subteam, interns will engage in brainstorming creative social media campaigns that will energize young people across the country. This internship provides a good sense of how politics and media interact within the Washington policy sphere. Interns will also work with the Generation Progress organizing subteam to brainstorm creative rapid-response and long-term grassroots actions and engagement tactics.
Previous Generation Progress interns have had the opportunity to:
- Write and publish on the Generation Progress website.
- Assist with Generation Progress’ high-profile virtual events.
- Edit policy reports.
- Draft fun and innovative social media posts, including shareables and other graphics.
- Draft op-eds and blog posts.
- Help improve and update the team’s websites.
- Compile resources for Generation Progress action toolkits.
- Compile and send out press clips.
- Attend all-staff press team meetings and learn about big press shops.
- Meet with student groups.
- Work on the creation and filming of MTV’s partnership campaign to get out the vote.
- Use the voter database, NGP VAN, to update Generation Progress’ youth lists and track the team’s actions.
- Research youth statistical data and run citation checks.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Current pursuance of an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, or recent graduate.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Interest in public policy, advocacy, and communications.
- Familiarity with different types of traditional and social media.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify creative solutions.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress interns are paid at the D.C. minimum wage rate of $15.20 per hour. All fall 2021 internships will be virtual. Interns will receive paid time off for federal holidays.
In order to be considered for an internship with American Progress, please combine the following items into a single .doc or .pdf file; follow the appropriate application link below; upload the single file; and complete the online application. The system does not allow for multiple files. Required materials include:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample of approximately three pages
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of the organization will be considered applicants and receive responses from American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This internship posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education, and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress internships are awarded on an equal opportunity basis; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.