Digital Media Associate, Generation Progress
Reports to: Senior Director of Communications and Digital Strategy, Generation Progress
Department: Generation Progress
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification:Exempt, Full-Time
Union Classification: Level III
American Progress has an immediate opening for a digital media associate on its Generation Progress team. Generation Progress is the young adult engagement and empowerment arm of the Center for American Progress. Through digital advocacy, grassroots organizing, and policy analysis, Generation Progress works with and for 18- to 35-year-olds to drive progressive change and to engage them in the democratic system through the progressive issue areas they care about. With feedback from the director of communications and digital strategy, the digital media manager will coordinate and operate all aspects of Generation Progress’s online presence, including: digital communication, website management, email marketing, social media administration, and database management.
Applicants should have experience creating and maintaining websites, managing social media accounts, fluency in email marketing systems, and working within databases. Experience with and understanding of digital ads and list-growing or previous work in digital or communications strategy are a plus. Ability to contribute innovative ideas for content and to problem-solve are a must.
This position requires capacity to manage a heavy workflow of requests efficiently and with the diligence to check all work for accuracy and completeness. Applicants must enjoy detail-oriented work and troubleshooting while developing project ideas and driving them to completion.
- Website Maintenance: With the support of their supervisor, maintain genprogress.org’s advocacy actions and functionality. With the support of American Progress’s Website Tech team, provide technological support to Generation Progress staff and website users.
- Social Media: With the support of their supervisor, manage Generation Progress’s social media accounts, including: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube; keep a pulse on current social media trends, language, users and best practices; work with GP senior director of communications and digital strategy to launch intensive and granular lead generation ad campaigns across several social media platforms.
- Digital Content: Create informative, yet compelling graphics and visual content in support of Generation Progress’s issue campaigns; work cohesively with GP’s issue-focused advocacy associates.
- Database Management: With the support of their supervisor, meticulously manage Generation Progress’s data within EveryAction and Engaging Networks and track every user’s digital interactions with GP’s digital actions.
- Email Marketing: With the support of their supervisor, analyze email stats and make recommendations for improvement; grow email lists; create and send emails about Generation Progress’s reports, actions, successes, and events.
- Campaign Development: Assist in the development and implementation of online issue campaigns; support the GP advocacy team’s creation of issue campaign pages on the GP site.
- Metrics Reporting: Analyze statistics, create weekly reports, and apply that knowledge to improve marketing and outreach.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Web development skills: Basic understanding of HTML & CSS a plus.
- At least two years of experience in digital and social media, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization.
- Communication skills: Ability to communicate complicated ideas in simple terms, excellent written and verbal skills.
- Social media management skills: Ability to manage a consistent brand across multiple platforms in a timely manner, familiarity with social media growth tracking and analytics.
- Interest and experience in email marketing: The ideal applicant will have some experience with email marketing and a strong interest in becoming an expert.
- Project management skills: Ability to manage tasks and workflow and work within the GP team to meet deadlines. Strong attention to detail.
- Collaboration skills: Ability to pitch ideas and keep staff up-to-date on projects; flexibility to work closely with the senior director of communications and digital strategy and GP advocacy associates, on projects with changing priorities and deadlines, ability to work as part of a team.
- Marketing sense: Ability to see communications from the user’s perspective, to step outside of the organization’s perspective to thoroughly navigate all websites and emails to ensure an intuitive experience for the end user and effective communication.
- Problem-solving skills: Self-motivated ability to solve complex problems in an innovative, effective, and timely manner.
- Commitment to Generation Progress’s progressive mission and goals.
The base salary for this position is $50,000.
The following are preferred but not required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Graphic design experience and proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, or Flash.
- Experience working in email management systems.
- Experience editing video.
- Experience creating interactive, new media packages for websites.
- Experience with WordPress or similar website systems.
- Experience with emerging tools for online collaboration and communication.
- Experience training fellow professionals on computer applications or databases
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 with a starting salary of $50,000. American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
American Progress is dedicated to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is more than a commitment at American Progress—it is the foundation of what we do. American Progress recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and all the other characteristics that make us unique.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.