Generation Progress is seeking a highly motivated and organized professional with a strong advocacy and organizing background, as well as an understanding of strategic communications, to serve as an Advocacy Associate.
Generation Progress is a national advocacy and education organization that promotes progressive solutions to the political and social issues that matter to young people ages 18 to 35. We strive to uplift the voices and leadership of young people across the country to ensure that their perspectives and needs are represented in policymaking spaces at all levels of government. Generation Progress is housed within American Progress, making us the only youth advocacy organization within a progressive think tank. Generation Progress’ priority issue areas are: gun violence prevention, criminal justice reform, immigration reform, climate change, and student debt.
The responsibilities of this role focus on mobilizing 18- to 35-year-olds to meaningful action in Generation Progress’ priority issue areas. The Advocacy Associate will deepen and build support for progressive policies through online organizing and communications; assist in the development and implementation of campaign plans that drive priorities; and coordinate stakeholder engagement.
- Collaborate with the Generation Progress advocacy and communications teams, and various American Progress policy teams, to produce and distribute advocacy materials, including issue analyses, blog posts, fact sheets, op-eds, video content, campaign messages, and campaign strategies that are tailored to Generation Progress’ audience.
- Assist in the development of strategic and targeted advocacy campaigns using Generation Progress’ extensive email network, social media presence, and national media/communications reach.
- Participate in planning and executing substantive events, briefings, and meetings across a range of progressive organizations, advocacy groups, and other stakeholders.
- Track and analyze the performance of Generation Progress projects, including but not limited to events and advocacy materials.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least one year of work experience in campaigns, advocacy, or related fields is preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice from the grassroots up.
- A strong, entrepreneurial self-starter with the motivation to engage progressive 18- to 35-year-olds nationwide, with a focus on Generation Progress’ five target cities for 2020.
- A proven track record of collaborating with a diverse group of external stakeholders and advocacy groups.
- Desire to work collaboratively with people of all different backgrounds.
- Familiarity and experience with some or all of the Generation Progress priority issues.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships, including experience carrying out one-on-ones and other community organizing techniques.
- Ability to learn new policy issues quickly and an interest in or experience with Generation Progress’ priority issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work on a team and across organizations.
- Ability to identify equity and opportunity gaps and build messaging rooted in principles of equity.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment under the pressure of deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and succinctly share engaging ideas with audiences who may not be steeped in a topic.
- Ability to initiate projects and balance multiple projects at once.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70. This position is budgeted for $46,000.
Please follow the link below to the online application. When completing the application, be sure to combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file and upload this combined document. The system does not allow for multiple files.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.