Betsy DeVos has been confirmed as Secretary of Education, but the fight against her corruption and extreme policy agenda is far from over. Secretary DeVos’ confirmation process revealed her lack of experience, knowledge, and preparation for the job she has been confirmed to do. Now is not the time to let her, or your elected officials, off the hook.
Next week, members of Congress are heading back to their states and districts for recess. Here are a few things you can do this week to let them know you do not support DeVos or her agenda:
If you only have 30 seconds… Tweet at your elected officials to let them know that you reject President Trump’s and Secretary DeVos’ plan to destroy public education. Look up your elected officials’ handles HERE, and use the following tweets or create your own!
- [ENTER YOUR ELECTED OFFICIAL’S HANDLE HERE], see how much funding is at risk under Trump and #DeVos’ education plans: http://bit.ly/2e6dPOd
- [ENTER YOUR ELECTED OFFICIAL’S HANDLE HERE], I reject Trump and #DeVos’ plan to devalue, defund, and privatize public education. ly/2hbYI1Y
If you have a minute or two… Call your elected officials and let them know that you do not support Secretary DeVos’ harmful policy agenda. Remind them that the U.S. Department of Education is responsible for providing educational opportunity for ALL students, and we will not stand idly by while she decimates our public schools.
- You can call the Capitol switchboard at 202-224-3121 to be connected to your senators or representatives.
If you have a few hours… Find and attend your elected officials’ town halls or office hours! Town halls are a great way to let your representatives know how you feel about your key issues. Remember, officials at every level of government were elected to represent their constituents – that’s you!
Make sure to tell them how DeVos’ policies would affect you, or others in their state and district:
- Learn more about the effect of President Trump and Secretary DeVos’ education agenda in your state.
- Explore what DeVos’ policies could mean for students with disabilities.
- Find out if your elected official has received campaign money from Betsy DeVos, her family, or their company PAC.
If you have an entire day… Attend a #ResistTrump protest near you. It is critical that we continue to pay attention and show up to demonstrate our support for ALL students! Join a rally and make your voice heard.