Last updated: November 16, 2009
2. About American Progress; Purpose of Generation Progress. American Progress is a nonpartisan, tax-exempt research and educational institute dedicated to promoting a strong, just, and free America that ensures opportunity for all. We believe Americans are bound together by a common commitment to these values and we aspire to ensure our national policies reflect these values.
As a tax-exempt organization, American Progress is prohibited from supporting attempts to influence the outcome of any election for public office. Accordingly, with Generation Progress, American Progress seeks to provide a forum for students and others to discuss progressive ideas and policies—not to advance the interests of any particular political party or candidate for office.
3. Signing Up for Certain Site Features. We welcome both registered members and non-registered visitors to sign up to enter contests, participate in polls, or use certain other features made available through Generation Progress from time to time. You must provide your email address and zip code to sign up for these features. Any contests, polls or other features requiring you to sign up may be governed by specific rules, which we will post for your review. By signing up for a particular feature, you become subject the rules governing that feature.
You acknowledge that to the extent that you include personally identifiable information in Submissions, we may republish such information as part of the content. If we republish your content, we may provide authorship credit by listing your name as well.
5. Generation Progress Comment Community Rules. Generation Progress comment forums are designed to encourage discussion on topics related to ideas, issues, politics, campuses, and student activism. While Generation Progress is centered on progressive ideas and policies, we welcome a broad range of viewpoints. We have adopted the “Generation Progress Community Comment Rules” set forth below to create a forum where information and views can be shared in a productive and civilized way. While using Generation Progress, you agree to follow the Generation Progress Comment Community Rules.
You agree to:
Respect Others. Please do not threaten, abuse, intimidate, or harass other Site users.
Use Generation Progress for your personal use only. Posting entries solely to promote your own commercial ventures is not allowed.
You agree not to:
Post any content or provide links to any content that endorse or oppose a particular political party or candidate for office.
Post any private information or otherwise harvest, collect, or disclose information, about another Generation Progress user without his or her express consent.
Post any content to Generation Progress that is unlawful, racist, libelous, defamatory, obscene, or harasses particular individuals or groups.
Post any content to Generation Progress that infringes any third-party’s intellectual property or other rights.
Use Generation Progress for any unlawful purpose, or transmit or otherwise make available in connection with Generation Progress any material that would give rise to criminal or civil liability.
Use Generation Progress for advertisements, chain letters, “spamming,” survey solicitations, junk mail, or solicitations. We are not free advertising.
Impersonate any person or entity, including any American Progress employees, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity.
Imply that American Progress endorses any of your statements or positions.
Transmit any harmful, invasive or disruptive code or other materials (such as viruses, worms, or web bugs) through or to Generation Progress, or otherwise “hack” or deface any portion of Generation Progress.
Frame or mirror any part of Generation Progress without our prior written authorization.
6. American Progress’s Proprietary Rights and Re-Use Policy. You acknowledge and agree that the information and materials presented on or through Generation Progress will remain the property of American Progress and its licensors or providers, and are protected by copyright, trademark, patent, and/or other proprietary rights and related laws, rules and regulations. The materials produced by American Progress (including photographs, graphics, video and audio content) are protected by copyright as a collective work or compilation under the copyright laws of the United States and other countries. All individual articles, content and other elements comprising this compilation and produced by American Progress are also copyrighted works. You agree to abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in any materials produced by American Progress.
The trademarks, service marks, logos, and trade names displayed on Generation Progress (collectively the “Marks”) are the registered and unregistered trademarks of American Progress, American Progress’s licensors and suppliers, and others. All Marks on Generation Progress not owned by American Progress are the property of their respective owners. The Marks owned by American Progress, whether registered or unregistered, may not be used in connection with any product or service that is not American Progress’.
General Re-Use Policy
You may copy reprint, publish, reproduce, or otherwise display materials created by American Progress and made available through Generation Progress (collectively, the “Generation Progress Works") on the condition that you attribute those materials to American Progress or Generation Progress, as applicable, and provide a link to the American Progress website (www.americanprogress.org) or the Generation Progress site (www.Generation Progress.org), as applicable. Specifically, any article or materials that you reprint or otherwise reproduce must be displayed with its by-line, if applicable, under one of the following headings:
“This material [article] was created by Generation Progress." (online)
“This material [article] was created by Generation Progress (www.Generation Progress.org).” (print)
You can usually tell that a work is a “Generation Progress Work" because it has a by-line, tagline, or other attribution as such. “Generation Progress Works" do not include any materials posted on or through the site that do not include such an attribution. (such as an AP photo, an article by an outside contributor, a music/audio file or a cartoon) If you are uncertain whether a work is a Generation Progress Work, please contact us. Please contact the author of works published on Generation Progress that are not Generation Progress Works for permission to re-use such works.
Limit on Use
Except as expressly permitted above, you may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, enter into a database, display, perform, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any material produced by American Progress. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you may not distribute any material produced by American Progress over any network, including a local area network, nor sell or offer it for sale.
You may not make any editorial changes to articles or materials without first receiving express permission from American Progress. This provision does not restrict excerpting portions of content in a manner that does not alter the editorial intent.
If any of these terms are breached, we reserve the right to withdraw your license to republish our material. In this situation, you must take immediate steps to remove our material from all current and past communications.
7. Information Available on or Through Generation Progress. Much information made available on or through Generation Progress is provided by third parties (such as news services) or other Generation Progress visitors or users (such information, “Third-Party Content”). The inclusion or appearance of Third-Party Content on Generation Progress does not indicate any approval or endorsement by American Progress. American Progress is not responsible for, and hereby disclaims any and all liability that may arise from Third-Party Content.
8. Links. The Site provides links to other websites and resources. Because American Progress has no control over these sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that American Progress does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. American Progress is providing these links to you only as a convenience. American Progress has the right, but not the obligation to block links from or to Generation Progress at any time.
9. Claims of Copyright Infringement. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”) provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials hosted by American Progress infringe your copyright, you (or your agent) may send us a notice requesting that the material be removed, or access to it blocked. Notices and counter-notices must meet the then-current statutory requirements imposed by the DMCA; see http://www.loc.gov/copyright/ for details. Notices and counter-notices with respect to Generation Progress should be sent to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW
Washington DC 20005
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be aware that if you decide to disclose personally identifiable information on forums open to other site visitors or Generation Progress members, this information may become public. American Progress does not control the acts of other Generation Progress visitors or members, so please be cautious when deciding to reveal personal information on Generation Progress. If you believe a Generation Progress visitor or member is improperly collecting or using information about you or other users, please contact us at CPwebmaster@Generation Progress.org.
11. Jurisdictional Issues. The Site is controlled and operated by American Progress from its principal office in the District of Columbia, U.S.A., and is not intended to subject American Progress to the laws or jurisdiction of any other state, country, or territory. Those who choose to access Generation Progress do so on their own initiative and at their own risk, and are solely responsible for complying with all local laws, rules, and regulations.
13. Disclaimers. Generation Progress IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY. YOU AGREE THAT YOU MUST EVALUATE AND BEAR ALL RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF Generation Progress, AND ANY RELIANCE ON THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR USEFULNESS THEREOF. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, AMERICAN PROGRESS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO Generation Progress.
14. Limitation of Liability. NEITHER American Progress NOR ANY OF OUR AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES OR CONSULTANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE, OR OTHER DAMAGES UNDER ANY CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHER THEORY ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING IN ANY WAY TO THE BLOG AND/OR MATERIALS CONTAINED ON THE BLOG, ANY LINKED SITE OR ANY CONTENT OR SERVICE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE BLOG. YOUR SOLE REMEDY FOR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE BLOG, CONTENT, SERVICES OR ANY LINKED SITE IS TO STOP YOUR USE OF IT.
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW
Washington DC 20005